Contact lenses may actually cause a serious blinding infection in the eyes. It is called Acanthamoeba keratitis, and the amount of people who have been infected since 2011 has tripled. It is usually caused by poor hygiene use. This type of infection causes the cornea to become inflamed as well as very painful due to a cyst that is starting to form on the eye. The infection typically results in lost of vision and even blindness in the eye. The treatment can be prolonged as well as difficult.

Key Takeaways:

  • People who wear contact lenses need to be aware of a serious infection that could lead to blindness.
  • Poor contact hygiene is what can lead to the infection that leads to blindness.
  • One in four people that become infected with the virus, will experience a serious loss of vision.

“wearing contact lenses who have been exposed to contaminated water, which could be from swimming pools, water parks or even showers at home.”

Read more: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=215358